What you'll learn
Learn unit testing from scratch
Tips and tricks to write clean, maintainable and trustworthy tests
Write loosely-coupled and testable code
Refactor legacy code towards testable code
Understand and implement dependency injection
Use mocks to isolate code from external dependencies
Apply the unit testing best practices
Learn the anti-patterns to avoid
Minimum 3 months programming in C#
Picture this: you make a simple change to the code and suddenly realize that you created a dozen unexpected bugs. Sound familiar? You’re not alone!
Good news is, unit testing can make this a thing of the past.
Maybe you’ve heard of automated or unit testing before and you’re keen to learn more.
Or perhaps you’ve tried to learn it and got a bit lost or ended up with fat and fragile tests that got in the way and slowed you down.
Either way, what you need is a course that will teach you all you need to know about this essential skill - from the basics, right through to mastery level.
What is unit testing?
In a nutshell: it’s the practice of writing code to test your code and then run those tests in an automated fashion.
Why learn unit testing?
Why write extra code? Wouldn’t that take extra time to write? Would that slow you down? Why not just run the application and test it like an end user?
Thinking like this is the mistake lots of people make. I used to make it myself. I’ve had to learn the hard way!
I learned pretty fast that if you’re building a complex application or working on a legacy app, manually testing all the various functions is tedious and takes a significant amount of time.
As your application grows, the cost of manual testing grows exponentially. And you’re never 100% sure if you’ve fully tested all the edge cases. You’re never confident that your code really works until you release your software and get a call from your boss or an end user!
Several studies have shown that the later a bug is caught in the software development lifecycle, the more costly it is to the business.
Automated tests help you to catch bugs earlier in the software development lifecycle, right when you’re coding. These tests are repeatable. Write them once and run them over and over.
The benefits of using unit tests are:
- help you to catch and fix bugs earlier, before releasing your app into production
- help you to write better code with less bugs
- help you to produce software with better design - extensible and loosely-coupled
- give you rapid feedback and tell you if your code *really* works
- force you to think of edge cases that you didn’t realize existed
- test your code much faster
- tell if you have broken any functionality as you write new code
- allow you to refactor your code with confidence
- act as documentation about what your code does
- save you both time and money
A valuable skill for senior developers
More and more companies are recognizing the advantages of automated testing, that’s why it’s a must-have for senior coders. If you’re looking to reach the higher levels in your coding career, this course can help.
You don’t need any prior knowledge of automated testing. You only need 3 months of experience programming in C#.
With this course you’ll learn:
- senior coder secrets - best practices to write great unit tests
- tips and tricks to keep your tests clean, trustworthy and maintainable
- the pitfalls to avoid – anti-patterns
- how to refactor legacy, untestable code into loosely-coupled and testable code
- all about dependency injection – the one thing every coder needs to know
- the power of mocks – when and how to use them and when to avoid
- 6 hours of HD video
- tutorials and guidance from a senior coder with 15+ years’ experience
- exercises with step-by-step solution
- downloadable source code
- lifetime access
- access online or offline at any time on any device
- certificate of completion to present to your current or prospective employer
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to build better quality software with fewer bugs
- Any developers who want to transition to the senior level
About the instructor
Hi! My name is Mosh (Moshfegh) Hamedani! I’m a passionate software engineer with two decades of experience and I’ve taught over 3 million people who to code or how to become professional software engineers through my YouTube channel and online courses.
My goal is to make software engineering fun and accessible to everyone. That’s why my courses are simple, pragmatic and free of BS.