About this Course
The art of negotiation comes into play daily in the life of employees at all levels and in every position. Participants explore how current approaches to negotiation strategy and tactics are used, what negotiation entails, types of negotiation relationships that exist from hard bargain to win-win, to fully partnered relationships and personal ones. The course explores the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator. Participants discuss how empowerment, power, and authority affect the negotiation process and outcome. Topics include how important it is to plan and prepare for a negotiation session.
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Learn about the nature of negotiation and how it differs from selling
- Gain awareness of the basic doctrines of negotiation and barriers to effective negotiation
- Explain the role of authority and how to address it in negotiations
- Explain the role of power in negotiations and how to address power inequities
- Explain the positive and negative influences of empowerment
- Learn the different “stances” or negotiation styles negotiators might adopt
- Demonstrate the factors that influence which negotiation style is implemented
- Describe the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator
- Demonstrate your grasp of emotional intelligence and how it impacts the effectiveness of a negotiator
- Assess your own values and personal style and how they affect the negotiation process
- Learn about the critical importance of planning and preparation in the negotiation process
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Understand how negotiation differs from selling
Identify common negotiation styles
Describe the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator
Assess your personal style and how it affects the negotiation process
About the instructor
Susanne (Sue) Robins is an experienced teacher, trainer, facilitator, and invited speaker for workshops, classes, and plenary sessions. Sue has a 25-year career in both the public and private sectors with a record of success in leadership, sales, sales management, negotiation, marketing, software development, teaching, and program development. Extensive experience in the development of business soft skills training programs has afforded Sue a particular strength in providing highly engaging, targeted, and effective professional learning experiences. Sue has a B.S. in Zoology from the University of Maryland and a M.S. in Education from Mount St. Mary’s College.
Sue is currently owner and principal trainer of Ascend Training Solutions, a company dedicated to the design, development, and facilitation of engaging and impactful employee training programs. Ascend Training Solutions has developed and delivered employee training and leadership development programs for the corporate, government, and nonprofit sectors. In November of 2013, Sue was elected to the Governing Board of the Culver City Unified School District and currently serves in that capacity as well as leading Ascend Training Solutions. Helping people achieve their greatest potential has proved Sue’s most gratifying professional responsibility.