What you'll learn
Integrate Lua with C and C++
Students should know how to work with files, use a text editor, copy and paste files, etc.
Knowledge of the Linux or Windows command-line will help students to make the most of this course
Welcome to our complete Lua scripting course.
This course will teach you everything you need to know about the Lua scripting language.
We will start from scratch, installing Lua in your platform (Windows, macOS, or Linux), and progress to learn the main aspects of the Lua language. I will use Linux during the videos, but you can easily follow along with any other OS. If by any chance you cannot or do not want to install Lua in your machine, you can simply use the Replit website which allows you to run your Lua scripts inside your web browser.
This course is divided into three main parts:
- The first part is where we will cover the basics of the Lua language. We will learn the fundamentals of programming with Lua using variables, expressions, conditional statements, loops, functions, metatables, and other important commands and modules from the Lua language. This part covers Lua from the beginning to an advanced level, and it is a super course even if you never programmed before.
- The second part of the course is aimed at programmers that want to learn how to embed Lua within the C programming language. You'll learn how to embed and expose scripting capabilities to your C code and create a project that controls the movement of a player in C using Lua. If you don't want or don't care about integrating Lua with C, you are welcome to skip this section of the course, but this integration with C is one of the most powerful aspects of the Lua language and it is extremely important for professional programmers that want to take their Lua skills beyond the basics.
- The third part of the course is a set of short bonus lectures that cover the basics of using Lua with Roblox Studio. Roblox is a popular game engine that uses Lua to script game logic and aspects of the game scene. We will learn how to use everything we learned to understand how Lua is used by Roblox and also understand the basics of the Roblox Studio interface.
This course is a super complete package about one of the world's favorite scripting languages. You will benefit from it if you are a beginner or if you are a seasoned developer that wants to discover the power of the Lua language.
Be aware: This is not a course about Roblox! This is a course about the Lua programming language, and the final bonus lectures are a basic overview on how Lua is used by Roblox developers.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner that want to learn how to code with Lua
- Professional programmers that want to learn how to embed and use Lua with their C applications
- Students that want to learn how Lua is used with Roblox Studio
About the instructor
My name is Gustavo Pezzi, and I’m a university lecturer in London, UK.
I teach fundamentals of computer science, low-level programming, and mathematics at Pikuma.
My academic path includes institutions such as Pittsburg State University, City University of London, and University of Oxford.
I also have some useful scars from 15+ years of industry experience with 3D systems and software programming.
But after all is said and done, I’m just a guy who absolutely loves to teach… and I’m sure it shows.