What you'll learn
Create a multi-node highly-available Swarm cluster on Linux and Windows.
Remotely orchestrate complex multi-node systems from macOS, Windows, or Linux.
Update your containers using rolling updates, healthchecks, and rollbacks.
Ensure zero-downtime updates by understanding service startup and shutdown details.
No paid software required. Yay Open Source!
Understand Docker and Compose basics: creating containers, images, volumes, networks.
Be able to setup multiple VMs locally or use cloud VMs.
Understand terminal or command prompt basics, Linux shells, SSH, and package managers.
2021 Update: Ready for Apple Silicon (M1 arm64) and Raspberry Pi's!
Welcome to the most complete and up-to-date course for learning SwarmKit and using Docker Swarm end-to-end, from development and testing, to deployment and production. Discover how easy and powerful Docker Swarm Mode multi-host orchestration can be for your applications. This course is taught by a Docker Captain and DevOps consultant who's also a bestselling Udemy author.
Are you just starting out with container orchestration? Perfect. This course starts out assuming you're new to Swarm and starts with how to install and configure it.
Or: Are you using Docker Swarm now and need to deal with real-world problems? I'm here for you! See my production topics around storing secrets, controlling rolling updates, events, healthchecks, and more.
BONUS: This course comes with exclusive access to a Slack Chat and Weekly live Q&A with me!
Some of the many cool things you'll do in this course:
- Lock down your apps in private networks that only expose necessary ports
- Create a 3-node Swarm cluster locally and (optionally) in the cloud
- Use Virtual IP's for built-in load balancing in your cluster
- Use Swarm Secrets to encrypt your environment configs, even on disk
- Deploy container updates in a rolling update HA design
- Create the config utopia of a single set of YAML files for local dev, CI testing, and prod cluster deploys
- And so much more...
After taking this course, you'll be able to:
- Use Docker Swarm in your daily ops and sysadmin roles
- Build multi-node Swarm clusters and deploying H/A containers
- Protect your keys, TLS certificates, and passwords with encrypted secrets
- Lead your team into the future with the latest Docker Swarm orchestration skills!
Why should you learn from me? Why trust me to teach you the best ways to use Docker Swarm?
- I'm A Practitioner. Welcome to the real world: I've got more than 20 years of sysadmin and developer experience, over 30 certifications, and have been using Docker and the container ecosystem for myself and my consulting clients since Docker's early days. My clients use Docker Swarm in production. With me, you’re learning from someone who's run hundreds of containers across dozens of projects and organizations.
- I'm An Educator. With me, you’re learn from someone who knows how to make a syllabus: I want to help you. People say I'm good at it. For the last few years I've trained thousands of people on using Docker in workshops, conferences and meetups. See me teach at events like DockerCon, O'Reilly Velocity, and Linux Open Source Summit.
- I Lead Communities. Also, I'm a Docker Captain, meaning that Docker Inc. thinks I know a thing or two about Docker and that I do well in sharing it with others. In the real-world: I help run two local meetups in our fabulous tech community in Norfolk/Virginia Beach USA. I help online: usually in Slack and Twitter, where I learn from and help others.
"There are a lot of Docker courses on Udemy -- but ignore those, Bret is the single most qualified person to teach you." - Kevin Griffin, Microsoft MVP
Giving Back: a portion of my profit on this course will be donated to supporting open source and protecting our freedoms online! This course is only made possible by the amazing people creating open source. I'm standing on the shoulders of (open source) giants! Donations will be split between my favorite charities including the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Free Software Foundation. Look them up. They're awesome!
This is a living course, and will be updated as Docker Swarm features and workflows change.
This course is designed to be fast at getting you started but also get you deep into the "why" of things. Simply the fastest and best way to learn the latest docker skills. Look at the scope of topics in the Session and see the breadth of skills you will learn.
Also included is a private Slack Chat group for getting help with this course and continuing your Docker Swarm and DevOps learning with help from myself and other students.
"Bret's course is a level above all of those resources, and if you're struggling to get a handle on Docker, this is the resource you need to invest in." - Austin Tindle, Docker Mastery Course Student
Extra things that come with this course:
- Access to the course Slack team, for getting help/advice from me and other students.
- Bonus videos I put elsewhere like YouTube.
- Tons of reference links to supplement this content.
- Updates to content as Docker changes their features on these topics.
Thanks so much for considering this course. Come join me and thousands of others in this course (and my others) for learning one of the coolest pieces of tech today, Docker Swarm!
Who this course is for:
- You've taken my first Docker Mastery course and are ready for more Swarm.
- You're skilled at Docker for local development and ready to use Swarm container orchestration on servers.
- Anyone who has tried tools like Kubernetes and Nomad and is looking for an easier solution.
- Anyone in a Developer, Operations, or Sysadmin role that wants to improve DevOps agility.
- Anyone using Mirantis clustering and wants to learn how Swarm works in Docker.
- Do *not* take this course if you’re new to Docker. Instead, take my Docker Mastery course, which starts with Docker 101.
About the instructor
Hey I’m Bret. Thanks for learning about me. I’m a freelance DevOps and Docker consultant, trainer, speaker, and Open Source volunteer working from Virginia Beach, USA. I’ve helped over 250,000 people learn Docker and DevOps tools and techniques.
I’ve been a cloud and datacenter ops/sysadmin for more than 20 years. For years I’ve been exclusive to containers and I help teams Dockerize their apps and systems, and improve their speed of deployment, resiliency, metrics, and awareness. All that DevOps-y stuff.
I’m also a Docker Captain and Code for America Brigade Captain. I run monthly meetups, speak at conferences, and love helping others. I’m obsessed with containerizing any app I see, and I’ll likely talk your ear off about it next time we meet.
I sometimes develop in Node.js, Bash, and general web, usually for open source.
When not working, I crossfit, surf a little, geekout in our awesome local dev community in Virginia Beach, and travel with my Wife.
Please check out my courses and join me with thousands of others who are learning the latest DevOps tools!