What you'll learn
Build a chat application entirely with AWS services, and no stand-alone servers at all
Architect and design serverless applications
Serve static resources to browsers using AWS's S3 (Simple Storage Service)
Manage permissions and access policies using IAM (Identity and Access Management)
Manipulate and vend data in the cloud using AWS Lambda
Use CORS to manage client-side security in serverless apps
Store and retrieve data with DynamoDB
Model API's and create SDK's with API Gateway
Create a user login system with Cognito
Speed up your web app with a CloudFront CDN
You'll need a desktop PC with Internet access
Immerse yourself in Amazon Web Services (AWS) with this hands-on, project-based course - and truly internalize some highly valuable skills in the world of technology. We'll walk you through building your own chat website using nothing but AWS services - and no standalone services or server instances at all!
Building a "serverless app" using AWS and its Lambda service is a great introduction to the core services AWS offers. As you create your chat application, you'll learn and use the following AWS services:
- S3 (Simple Storage Service) - For storing static HTML and vending it to your users' browsers
- Lambda - For executing logic in the cloud for storing and retrieving data in your application
- IAM (Identity and Access Management) - For securing access to your services
- API Gateway - For presenting a well-modeled API to your clients and automatically generating client-side code to communicate with it
- DynamoDB - For quickly storing and retrieving data at scale
- Cognito - For managing users, account creation, and logins securely
- CloudFront - For accelerating the delivery of your site to end users with a CDN
Even if you're familiar with AWS, you'll learn valuable techniques on how to build a fully functional, dynamic website without maintaining any servers at all - not even via EC2!
Your highly experienced guides through this project are Frank Kane, formerly a senior manager at Amazon, and Brian Tajuddin, a principal engineer also formerly working at Amazon. You'll be learning AWS from people who were there when it was being created. You'll join over 500,000 other students of the Sundog Education team who have leveled up their careers with hot technical skills.
As an added bonus, you'll be offered membership in a closed Facebook Group for students of this course, where you can continue to collaborate with each other even after you've finished it.
Although this course isn't targeting any specific AWS certification exam, you'll leave it with a great foundation of AWS knowledge that will begin to prepare you for them.
Who this course is for:
- Technologists curious about Amazon Web Services and how to build web applications entirely in the cloud
- People seeking basic AWS skills as a start in working toward certifications
- People who learn best by doing, with a concrete example.
- Engineers tasked with building a web app who want to minimize ongoing maintenance
About the instructor
Sundog Education’s mission is to make highly valuable career skills in big data, data science, and machine learning accessible to everyone in the world. Our consortium of expert instructors shares our knowledge in these emerging fields with you, at prices anyone can afford.
Sundog Education is led by Frank Kane and owned by Frank’s company, Sundog Software LLC. Frank spent 9 years at Amazon and IMDb, developing and managing the technology that automatically delivers product and movie recommendations to hundreds of millions of customers, all the time. Frank holds 17 issued patents in the fields of distributed computing, data mining, and machine learning. In 2012, Frank left to start his own successful company, Sundog Software, which focuses on virtual reality environment technology, and teaching others about big data analysis.