What you'll learn
- Understand Apache Kafka Ecosystem, Architecture, Core Concepts and Operations
- Master Concepts such as Topics, Partitions, Brokers, Producers, Consumers
- Start a personal Kafka development environment
- Learn major CLIs: kafka-topics, kafka-console-producer, kafka-console-consumer, kafka-consumer-groups, kafka-configs
- Create your Producers and Consumers in Java to interact with Kafka
- Program a Real World Twitter Producer & ElasticSearch Consumer
- Extended APIs Overview (Kafka Connect, Kafka Streams), Case Studies and Big Data Architecture
- Practice and Understand Log Compaction
A recent Windows / Mac / Linux machine with minimum 4GB of RAM, 5 GB of disk space
Some understanding of Java Programming
Good to have knowledge about Linux command line
Desire to learn something awesome and new!
UPDATE MARCH 2022: Course newly recorded with Kafka 3.0!
Welcome to the Apache Kafka Series! Join a community of 130,000+ students learning Kafka.
Apache Kafka has become the leading distributed data streaming enterprise big data technology. Kafka is used in production by over 33% of the Fortune 500 companies such as Netflix, Airbnb, Uber, Walmart and LinkedIn.
To learn Kafka easily, step-by-step, you have come to the right place! No prior Kafka knowledge is required
If you look at the documentation, you can see that Apache Kafka is not easy to learn...
Thanks to my several years of experience in Kafka and Big Data, I wanted to make learning Kafka accessible to everyone.
We'll take a step-by-step approach to learn all the fundamentals of Apache Kafka.
At the end of this course, you'll be productive and you'll know the following:
- The Apache Kafka Ecosystem Architecture
- The Kafka Core Concepts: Topics, Partitions, Brokers, Replicas, Producers, Consumers, and more!
- Launch your own Kafka cluster in no time using native Kafka binaries – Windows / MacOS X / Linux
- Learn and Practice using the Kafka Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Code Producer and Consumers using the Java API
- Real world project using Wikimedia as a source of data for a producer and OpenSearch as a sink for our consumer
- Overview of Advanced APIs (Kafka Connect, Kafka Streams)
- Real World Case Studies and Big Use cases
- Overview of Advanced Kafka for Administrators
- Advanced Topic Configurations
Note: The hands-on section is based on Java, which is the native Kafka programming language. But, good news! Your learning in Java will be completely applicable to other programming languages, such as Python, C#, Node.js or Scala, and Big Data frameworks such as Spark, NiFi or Akka
The Kafka for Beginners course is the best place to start your Kafka learning journey... Ask other students!
- 5 stars: "That's one of the most high-quality on-line courses I ever took" – Paul L.
- 5 stars: "This training was awesome and learned many things about KAFKA though having 0 years of experience in this technology" – Puneet G.
- 5 stars: "Outstanding on all fronts! I wish all courses were that well presented. I especially appreciate the hands-on sections. I was able to get everything up and running with ease. Highly recommend this course and this instructor!" – David G.
You can take this course risk-free and if you don't like it, you can get a refund anytime in the first 30 days!
My name is Stephane Maarek, and I'll be your instructor in this course. I teach about Apache Kafka, the Kafka ecosystem and Kafka Certifications with my focus always on helping my students improve their professional proficiencies. I am also the co-founder of Conduktor: an enterprise Apache Kafka platform & UI to help everyone use Kafka.
Throughout my career in designing and delivering these certifications and courses, I have already taught 1,000,000+ students and gotten 350,000+ reviews!
With Apache Kafka becoming much more than a buzzword out there, I've decided it's time for students to properly learn how to be a Kafka professional. So, let’s kick start the course! You are in good hands!
This Course Also Comes With:
- Lifetime Access to All Future Updates
- A responsive instructor in the Q&A Section
- Links to interesting articles, and lots of good code to base your next applications onto
- Udemy Certificate of Completion Ready for Download
This is the course that could improve your career!
Apache Kafka is a skill in high demand and there are not enough people to fulfill all the open positions. You can boost your income, take on new roles and fun challenges. Many of my students are now the Kafka experts of their companies! You can be the next!
I hope to see you inside the course!
Note: Looking for more advanced Kafka concepts? There are many volumes in the Apache Kafka Series:
- Learn Kafka for Beginners v2 (great to start)
- Kafka Connect Hands On Learning
- Kafka Streams for Data Processing
- KSQL on ksqlDB - Hands On!
- Kafka Cluster Setup & Administration
- Confluent Schema Registry & Kafka REST Proxy
- Kafka Security (SSL SASL ACL)
- Kafka Monitoring and Operations
Who this course is for:
- Developers who want to learn the Apache Kafka Fundamentals, start a cluster and write their first application
- Architects who want to understand how Apache Kafka fits into their solution architecture
- Anyone looking to learn the full theory of how Apache Kafka works as a distributed system
About the instructor
Stephane is a solutions architect, consultant and software developer that has a particular interest in all things related to Big Data, Cloud & API. He’s also a many-times best seller instructor on Udemy for his courses in Apache Kafka and AWS.
[See FAQ below to see in which order you can take my courses]
Stéphane is recognized as an AWS Hero and is an AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional & AWS Certified DevOps Professional. He loves to teach people how to use the AWS properly, to get them ready for their AWS certifications, and most importantly for the real world.
He also loves Apache Kafka. He sits on the 2019 Program Committee organizing the Kafka Summit in New York, London and San Francisco. He is also an active member of the Apache Kafka community, authoring blogs on Medium and a guest blog for Confluent.
During his spare time he enjoys cooking, practicing yoga, surfing, watching TV shows, and traveling to awesome destinations!
FAQ: In which order should you learn?…
AWS Cloud: Start with AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate, then move on to AWS Certified Developer Associate and then AWS Certified SysOps Administrator. Afterwards you can either do AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional or AWS Certified DevOps Professional, or a specialty certification of your choosing. Once ready, you can learn AWS Lambda and AWS CloudFormation in depth, or do the AWS Big Data certification.
Apache Kafka: Start with Apache Kafka for Beginners, then you can learn Connect, Streams and Schema Registry if you’re a developer, and Setup and Monitoring courses if you’re an admin. Both tracks are needed to pass the Confluent Kafka certification.
gRPC: First do the protocol buffers course, then move on to gRPC Java or gRPC Golang course.
In order to share knowledge I am not able to respond to private messages on Udemy. If you’re a student, please ask questions inside the course. Thanks for understanding!