What you'll learn
The difference between vision and strategy
How famous leaders use vision to succeed
How to use a vision framework for your company and product
How to use OKRs to track progress
How product development hierarchies work
How to understand agile roadmapping
How to tie your metrics to your overall business strategy
When to use data and when to use intuition
How to debug metrics with origin source sorting
How to recognize cohort anomalies
How to design a cohort analysis
How to design and run a t-test on cohort data
The difference between a leading and lagging metric
How metrics differ in multiple industries, including e-commerce, mobile, & marketplaces
Familiarity with Product Management concepts is suggested
In this truly modern course, you'll learn all of the advanced skills and techniques that successful product managers use in their day-to-day working lives. From how to implement vision and strategy to getting a better understanding of how to use data, these lectures are designed for for founders, CEOs and, of course, product managers. With real world examples demonstrating exactly how to execute each approach, you'll find out exactly what to do (and what not to do) to build your company up to the level it deserves.
You already know the basics of being a product manager and securing that all-important job. But ensuring the success of your products is an entirely different ball game. You need to know the framework that transforms any product from zero to hero and the metrics measuring techniques that will allow you to figure out a product's successes and pitfalls. After all, there's nothing that can't be improved.
The first section of this course will take you through two hugely important elements of product management: vision and strategy. Whether you're a founder of a company or the product manager at said company, we'll teach you the difference between the two and how to implement them into the development of your products. The second section goes into a lot more detail on metrics. We'll take you through how to figure out what data to measure and how to fully understand the data that you track. There's also a deep dive into three different industries to demonstrate how metrics can change depending on the product that you're working on.
At the end of it all, you'll have the tools needed to make better, and more profitable, decisions in your product manager role.
Cole Mercer has been a Senior Product Manager at Soundcloud, Bonobos, Mass Relevance, and has taught the Product Management course at General Assembly in Manhattan, NYC. He is now a full-time Product Management and Strategy consultant.
Evan Kimbrell is a top rated Udemy instructor with 19 courses on everything Entrepreneurship. His courses have over 630,000 students and over 32,000 five star reviews. For the past few years, he has also been running a digital agency that has produced over 100 web and mobile products.
What you’ll learn
- What vision and strategy actually mean.
- The importance of vision and strategy in product management.
- What makes a great visionary and how to set a clear vision.
- How the product development hierarchy works.
- The most common types of strategy.
- How to set out an effective roadmap.
- How to use a more modern and agile form of roadmapping.
- What metrics actually are.
- The types of metrics you should be monitoring and optimizing.
- The various metrics that relate to e-commerce, mobile and marketplace products.
- How leading and lagging metrics tie into product management.
- How to analyze metrics using cohorts.
- Gain an understanding of origin source sorting and how this can skew product metrics.
- When to use data versus when to use your intuition.
- Real world examples demonstrating all of the above.
Are there any course requirements or prerequisites?
- As this is an advanced course, a basic understanding of Product Management would be beneficial.
Who this course is for
- Anyone looking to learn advanced Product Management techniques.
- Product Managers and CEOs who want to gain more effective decision-making skills.
Who this course is for:
- Students looking to transition into Product Management
- Existing Product Managers who want to augment their skills & understanding
- Entrepreneurs that want to learn the discipline of Product Management
About the instructor
Hey there! I’m currently the Head of Product for Academy at Semrush.
Before that, I was a Senior Product Manager at SoundCloud where I work on listener experience for over 170 million monthly users across web, iOS, and Android platforms.
I’m also a former General Assembly Product Management instructor where I taught courses in person to students in Manhattan. I’m on Udemy now because I loved my experience at GA and really enjoy teaching others about things I’ve learned.
I have consulted for various tech companies, and while in NYC was also a Product Manager at Bonobos – a web-focused retail clothing brand where I oversaw web and mobile properties that generated tens of millions in annual revenue through tens of thousands of customers.
Included in my knowledge is a lot of enterprise and a SaaS product management experience – I was an early product manager at Mass Relevance, a social API and data-focused enterprise marketing platform which was acquired in 2014.
Much earlier in my career I spent over a year as a PM with an investor funded startup in Austin, TX focusing on driving traction for early stage companies where we had over 35,000 users. I moved to that position from an initial role as a web engineer.
My career in Product Management started after graduating from Babson College and becoming a technology consultant to several companies across the US for over 2 years. As a result, I am fortunate enough to have experience in product management that spans several industries and development models.