What you'll learn
Master GIMP's powerful interface
Convey meaning through shape and colour
Use GIMPs fundamental drawing tools
Work with layers for complex images
Create gradients, drop shadows and reflections
Organise and professionally export your work.
Work to a specification like a pro
Create pixel art assets for your games
Create your own character
Becoming a digital artist
You need a Mac or PC capable of running GIMP (most are!)
You only need a mouse or trackpad to get started!
Optional: Wacom stylus or similar for later sections
You can organise, move and rename files
GIMP is a super powerful, free, 2D art package. It's also 'open source' which means it's owned by the community, and constantly updated. Most of the features of the much more expensive Photoshop are available, giving you the power to create industry strength 2D art.
The challenge with this package is it can be intimidating for beginners, especially those who don't have much confidence in art or drawing. We make learning from scratch easy with our simple step-by-step process.
Even if you have no prior experience in drawing, or computer art, we'll take you from the very basics. By investing in a structured course like this you'll learn faster and more effectively than on your own, just check-out our latest reviews.
We provide challenges in every video to cement your knowledge, an active community of students and instructors to help you if you get stuck, and continuous updates to the course to improve the learning journey.
How is the course structured?
- We start by helping you master GIMP's interface
- Then we constrain you to just 8x8 pixels, to get you started
- Moving on we add colour, contrast and more to bring your images alive
- In section 2 we increase our canvas to 32x2 and beyond
- By the end of the course you'll be able to create great looking 2D icons.
Looking for 3D art, Blender, Unity or more? Check out our other courses, let the green leaf logo be your guide :-)
Also included with the course...
- Get plugged into our communities of amazing developers on Facebook (nearly 20k), in our own TA-curated Community (17k views/day), and our student chat group (10k live at any one time).
- Use of our custom built texture sharing service
- Daily responses to your Q&A.
2D artwork is in demand, and now's a great time to get into GIMP.
Who this course is for:
- You want to learn GIMP specifically
- You want to create 2D art from scratch
- You have little or no experience with GIMP or Photoshop
- You want to make 2D assets for computer games
About the instructor
Hi, I’m Ben. I have a degree in computing from Imperial College London, and a physics diploma from the Open University.
I started working for myself at the age of 15, and never looked back. I explored careers as varied as being a commercial pilot, stunt-man, rock climbing instructor, and more. None of these provided a continued challenge, and stable income in the same way technology does.
After building and selling a home computer support business, I became an angel investor and business mentor here in Cambridge UK. I fell in love with teaching game development through one of my investments, and I now spend all of my time sharing my passion with people like you.
I can’t wait to help you experience the fulfilment, and financial freedom, that having a deep understanding of technology brings.
So why not start learning to make games with me and my team now?
See you soon!